by Karla Trotman
Pregnancy can be an extremely uncomfortable time for a woman. Add to that the stress of having to buy an entire wardrobe just to get through the next nine plus months. You don’t want to spend too much money, but you also want to look fabulous and be comfortable, especially at work. Here are 10 Pregnancy Wardrobe Staples that every woman should have.
1. Noppies Bengalin Seidel (over the belly pant) or Noppies Bengalin Hipster (under belly pant) – This is Europe’s best selling maternity pant because it can be worn throughout your entire
pregnancy and after you have had the baby. It is super comfortable and can be dressed up or down.
2. The 6 Way Maternity Dress from Fertile Mind is a dress that can be worn is throughout your pregnancy to many different events. Its great for those last minute banquets or dinner parties that you really do not want to buy a brand new outfit for. By adding great jewelry such as broaches and necklaces you can truly transform this dress into whichever style you need it to be.
3. Coat – The place to go for an inexpensive piece of outerwear is Target. Maternity designer for the stars Liz Lange has her own line of clothing there and you can get a winter coat for around $60.
4. Designer Jeans are available in maternity sizes. Seven For All Mankind, True Religion, Citizens of Humanity, Joe’s Jeans, Buffalo, Lucky…and more! If you aren’t into spending $200 on jeans, Old Navy has a nice selection for around $35. When dressing up jeans for work make sure that you accessorize in order to enhance the look. A great bag, chunky necklaces, fabulous (yet comfortable) shoes or a sweater with a little bling can take the jeans to the next level!
5. A Support Belt is worn as an undergarment is great at helping you reposition your center of balance. By correcting your posture you will relieve back pain and feel more comfortable in whatever you are wearing. Ask your doctor to write a prescription for you and check your insurance company for reimbursement.
6. Some offices seem to get colder in the winter months. This is why I love love love wrap cardigans! They are comfortable and have a wonderful clean look to them. And when you are in a cold meeting, you can swaddle yourself up and still look fly!
7. On the converse, some offices are hot and dry like the Sahara. Add to that your higher internal body temperature and you are in for a long and uncomfortable day. Luckily maternity designers are understanding this and now there are t-shirts available year round. For the office environment I would suggest an embellished t-shirt with a floral appliqué, ruching, flutter sleeves or unique neckline.
8. Layering camisoles are a must-have. Not only do they give your belly light weight support and add color to an otherwise drab shirt, but they protect your skin from uncomfortable sweater itch.
9. Compression trouser socks and stockings are important if you have a job that requires long periods of sitting or standing. You do not want to develop varicose veins. Nowadays compression stockings are actually fashionable and look like regular hosiery. Your doctor can write a prescription for you and insurance should cover it.
10. The last must have for your working wardrobe is a spare change of clothing in your office or car. As your muscles start to relax and your joints open up sneezing, coughing or laughing may cause accidents. You want to be prepared in case something like that happens.
* * *
Karla Trotman is the owner of www.bellybuttonboutique.com, an online boutique that specializes in products of comfort and support for pre- and postnatal women. Become a Facebook fan and get updated on products and expert advice!