By Grant Harris
1. Banana peel – Don’t throw out that banana from lunch. Keep the peel for the next time you find your shoes in less than stellar condition and you need a quick shine before the board meeting. Use the inside of the peel and rub in small circles then buff away the evidence.
2. Safety pin – Your brand new cuff links just broke and that French cuff dress shirt just doesn’t look right without them. A safety pin can be a great substitute for links. Use them to hold your cuff together and create a new fashion statement along the way.
3. Paper clip – No dress shirt collar is complete without collar stays, but if you find your collar flying away paper clips are your next best option. Use the heavy duty version and slip it into your collar just like the real thing.
4. Static Guard – Pants sticking to you like a bad habit? Keep a can of static guard in your desk and spray down before the stakeholder lunch. You’ll come out looking smooth as silk.
5. Stapler – For the unfortunate event you tear a hole in your shirt or rip your pants where the sun doesn’t shine, a stapler will hold you together. Staple the inside of the seam of your pants where they can’t be seen and get to a tailor after work ASAP.
* * *
Grant Harris, MBA is Owner & Chief Style Consultant at Image Granted, LLC a Washington, DC based Image Management company dedicated to solving the complex image, style & fashion issues of individuals, groups, & organizations of men. Mr. Harris provides private & corporate wardrobe consultations, closet organization, personal shopping & other value-based services for men in need of practical & affordable style advice. At Image Granted, LLC we dress men for the life they want! – Imagegranted@hotmail.com