Ah, the daily dance of prepping for the workday. So many people have their routines so organized that they can time their activities from when the alarm goes off and when they’re locking their door to head out to the office. Others prefer a more day-by-day approach. No matter your routine, almost all of us yearn for the perfect routine that gets us feeling prepared and looking good in the morning.
There’s nothing worse than starting the workday off realizing that you forgot something crucial back on your desk at home, or that the blouse you’re wearing has a coffee stain on it that you didn’t see when you were leaving. Whatever the situation, most of us have gone through it, and we would love to prevent them occurring again in the future.
- Be as prepared as you can be the night before. Some people shower the evening before the workday. There are some, myself included, who just can’t quite wake up and whose hair just wouldn’t be quite right without a morning shower. That doesn’t mean you can’t prepare in other ways. If you change your purse or have to pack a briefcase, make sure everything you need is in that bag and ready to pick up and go. Also, if you pack your lunch, try to do so the night before. The making and packing of the lunch is one of the biggest time consumptions of the morning routine – to the point where many sacrifice it to sleep in those extra 10 minutes or by answering that last email before running out the door.
- Coordinate your closet. Many of us do the spring clean-out of our closets. Fall/winter is another season that is necessary to go through your wardrobe. And I’m not saying that you should go through it just for a Goodwill run. But you should reconsider your closet “grouping”. Many people organize their closets by type of clothing (i.e. suits, dresses, skirts, jeans, blouses/shirts, etc.). This may be out of your comfort zone, but try to organize your closet by type. Many of us have clothes we specifically wear to the office. Put those together in your closet so that you can easily make an outfit from one designated area. I think this area of the closet is fantastic for those quick outfits that you throw on and you know looks professional and stylish without too much effort on your part. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t mix and match with the other areas in your closet, but we all are very happy for those go-to pieces when we are crunched on time. So make them easy to find for when you need them most.
- Keep your keys, phone, and wallet in one place. Yes this seems common sense, but many of us have been in the position of having to run back home due to one of these items being left on our dresser. A simple plate on an entry table or a nearby shelf usually suffices with no problem. You can even go a step further and write a reminder on your entry-way mirror with erasable marker (so much prettier than a post-it).
- Have an office fashion kit at work. If you don’t already have one, make sure you have one drawer in your desk with some items that will help you in an office fashion dilemma. This includes a needle and thread for buttons, a bleach pen for stains, blotting paper, a comb, and any additional makeup and cologne you would need to freshen up mid-day or before an evening event.
- Don’t sacrifice your morning wake-up! Whether it be a workout, reading the newspaper, or that cup of coffee, you rely on this part of your routine every morning to kick-start your day. And you notice when you bypass it.
- And finally, don’t be afraid of change. You may have led the same workout routine for many years. But is there something you’ve always wanted to try or add or take away from your routine? Don’t be afraid to give it a try! Change may be just what you need to make your routine perfect for your day.