What kind of eye shadow do you reach for when you’re getting ready in the morning?
For me, my most-frequent look is a soft, natural smoky eye, which gives me a little bit more depth and definition around my eyes, plays up my eye shape, and when I’m more careful with the color selection, certainly helps to make my blue eyes stand out. Plus, it’s a classic look that is appropriate for the office, as long as you don’t go too dark and smoky.
My newest favorite palette for office-appropriate makeup looks? Too Faced’s Boudoir Eyes Palette, which has a deceptive name – this palette is not for boudoir eyes only!
The colors in this palette, from top left:
- In the Buff: A pale, satin off-white
- Fuzzy Handcuffs: A neutral, satin nude
- Voulez-Vous: A golden plum
- Satin Sheets: A satin golden pink
- Sugar Walls: A shimmery mauve
- Garter Belt: A matte taupe gray
- Birthday Suit: A shimmery nude
- Lap Dance: A shimmery purple gray
- French Tickler: A matte dark gray/black
Don’t be too scared off by the names! No one in the office will know the names of your eyeshadows – only you. Despite its va-va-voom appearance, Boudoir Eyes gives me a soft, beautiful smoky eye, no matter which color I use. And the palette is designed to give you a bit of guidance, as well: along the left-hand side of the palette, you’ll see “Day,” “Night,” and “Fashion” listed along each row of colors. Simply follow the colors from left to right for a three-step smoky eye that fits each situation. Of course, rules are meant to be broken, so I often mix the looks for my own take on office-ready eyes. Here are a few of my favorites for the office:
- Brush Satin Sheets all over the lid, and swipe a mix of Sugar Walls and Garter Belt into the crease and along the lash line for a soft, neutral look.
- Brush Fuzzy Handcuffs all over the lid, and gently pat Garter Belt and Voulez-Vous into the crease for a matte, fall-toned smoky eye.
- Brush Birthday Suit all over the lid, and gently buff Sugar Walls into the crease for a no-makeup makeup look.
If you like a little more direction in your eyeshadow palettes and don’t feel comfortable making your own looks, Too Faced included a How-To Glamour Guide in the Boudoir Eyes palette (it sits in a recessed area in front of the palette’s mirror) for three different looks you can create in three minutes. Perfect for when you’re halfway out the door headed to the office, or right before you leave the office at night before a happy hour to amp up the glamour. And since the palette’s housed in a sturdy container, I have no qualms tossing this palette in my purse or suitcase when I hit the road!
What’s your favorite eyeshadow palette for the office? What kinds of looks do you create on a day-to-day basis?